Grant Information and Application
District 16 Excellence in Education Grant
Each year the District 16 OSSTF Excellence in Education Committee provides grant money for projects that showcase the abilities and accomplishments of secondary school students in York Region within the community.
This school year, $250 has been allotted for each school.
If multiple applications are submitted from a school, the Excellence in Education Committee may divide the money among the different projects based upon the monetary needs of the project as well as the suitability of the project within the criteria for the Excellence in Education grants.
Any grant money remaining in the budget after May 1st may be distributed to projects from other schools. Those schools that apply for extra money will need to reapply to be eligible for any remaining money.
The main goal of the Excellence in Education Committee is to support and promote the outstanding work and abilities of the secondary students of the YRDSB within the community.
Examples of qualifying grants may include (but are not limited to) the following:
1. A school production (play, musical, concert) that is open to the community;
2. A student club or team assembly to promotes and/or showcase student abilities and accomplishments to the community;
3. Renting of gallery space for an art show of students' work that is open to the community;
4. A Reach for the Top Team or similar group that has events open to the community;
5. Start up a new student club that promotes and/or showcases student abilities and accomplishments to the community;
6. A student cultural event or celebration that is open to the community.
The Excellence in Education Committee, made up of one Excellence in Education Representative from each school, meets once a semester to consider the grant applications. Projects which are approved will be expected to display the OSSTF Logo during the event along with acknowledgment that the event was financially supported by D16-OSSTF. As well, a brief write up about the event including photos of artwork for an edition of SIGNAL will be expected. Photo Release forms must be signed by every student in photos meant to be published in SIGNAL or other OSSTF D16 publications, including the website. After approval, receipts will need to be submitted for the total of the grant before the money is disbursed. Cheques will be made payable to the school.
Applications must be received a minimum of 1 month prior to the event. (September event applications will be accepted until October 1)
For more information contact your in-school Excellence in Education representative, your Branch President or the D16 office.
Communication/Political Action & Excellence in Education Chair
Business: 905-836-5954 Extension 24